Friday 15 August 2008

Friday's Plant of the Week- Carex buchananii

Another week is coming to an end and so we need to add another plant to your file.

This week I've chosen a grass to look at which can be planted with our previous plants; Rhus typhina, Berberis thunbergii 'Atropurpurea' and Sedum spectable 'Autumn Joy' to provide you with a fantastic display of autumn interest.

This Friday's plant is:

Carex buchananii


Deciduous or Evergreen: Deciduous

Design Function: Ground Cover, Architectural

Form and Shape: Round, spiky mound of arching leaves

Texture of Leaves: Smooth with course edges

Colour of Foliage: Bronze

Colour of bark: N/A

Colour of flowers: Brown

Main Season of Interest: Autumn

Horticultural Information:

Country of Origin: New Zealand

Soil Type Preferred: Moist, well-drained

Aspect Preferred: Sun or Shade

Height and Spread at 5 years: 75cm x 90cm

Height and Spread at Maturity: 75cm x 90cm

Other notable Cultivars of Species: Carex oshimensis 'Evergold' (Gold-green striped leaves)
My Personal Opinion of Carex buchananii
In the past I've never really been a fan of grasses. I always thought that they were too messy! However, I planted Carex buchannii in a gravel path and it has performed beautifully. It takes the harsh edge away from the path and creates a more relaxed, informal atmosphere to the garden. It also looks fab all year round, which is a bonus. I believe you can plant it next to pretty much any thing and it will enhance whatever it is surrounded by. Easy to care for, this grass just gets on with things!

2 comments:

Paul Bernard Baker said...

Good idea for a blog, Tracy.
I had to write a few articles recently, about gardening. If I had known about your blog I would have come here for info!
Thanks for visiting me at the Daily Postcard anyway.

The Blogging Gardener said...

Thanks Paul. Good to know it's worthwhile doing!